This ignition system wiring diagram applies to the 1997 and 1998 2.0L Honda CR-V.
The ignition coil, the ignition control module (igniter), the CKP sensor, the CYL sensor, and the TDC sensor are located inside the distributor.
Testing the ignition coil and the ignition control module can easily be done with a few simple tools. The following tutorials will help you test these two components:
- How To Test The Ignition Coil (1997-1998 2.0L Honda CR-V).
- How To Test The Ignition Control Module (1997-1998 2.0L Honda CR-V).
Ignition System Operation Basics
What'll help you test the ignition control module (also known as the igniter) is knowing how it functions within the ignition system.
In a nutshell, when you turn the key to crank and start your 1997-1998 2.0L Honda CR-V:
- 12 Volts flow into the distributor across the black with yellow stripe (BLK/YEL) wire of the engine wiring harness distributor connector. These 12 Volts feed power to the igniter (ignition control module) and the ignition coil.
- The distributor shaft starts to turn (as the engine cranks and starts) which gets the CKP, TDC, and CYL sensors to produce their signals. These signals are fed directly to your Honda CR-V's fuel injection computer.
- Upon receiving the CKP, TDC, and CYL signals, the fuel injection sends a triggering signal to activate the igniter across the yellow with green stripe (YEL/GRN) wire of the engine wiring harness distributor connector.
- The igniter upon receiving this triggering signal in turn activates the ignition coil.
- The ignition coil now starts to spark away!
- The fuel injection computer controls the igniter at start up and at all engine speeds after start up.
More 2.0L Honda CR-V Tutorials
You can find a complete list of tutorials here: Honda 2.0L Index of Articles.
Here's a sample of the tutorials you'll find there:
- How To Test The Ignition Coil (1999-2001 2.0L Honda CR-V).
- How To Test The TPS (1997-2001 2.0L Honda CR-V).
- How To Test The MAP Sensor (1997-2001 2.0L Honda CR-V).
- How To Test Engine Compression (1997-2001 2.0L Honda).
If this info really saved the day, buy me a beer!