This article is a step by step testing guide to diagnose and troubleshoot a misfire condition and/or a bad ignition coil pack on the 99, 00, 01 Chrysler (Dodge and Plymouth) mini-vans with a 3.3L V6 engine. There are two other ignition coil pack test articles for 3.3L, 3.8L Chrysler vehicles (1990-2008) at: Chrysler 3.3L, 3.8L Index Of Articles.
This first section contains a lot of important information that will help you to successfully diagnose the coil pack on your Chrysler (or Dodge and Plymouth) mini-van.
You can find this tutorial in Spanish here: Cómo Probar La Bobina De Encendido (1999-2001 3.3L Chrysler) (at: autotecnico-online.com).
Symptoms Of A Bad Chrysler Coil Pack
When the ignition coil pack or the spark plug wires are bad, your Chrysler (or Dodge or Eagle or Plymouth) mini-van will display one or more of the following symptoms:
- The car idles rough and wants to stall (die).
- When you accelerate the car, it has no power.
- Really bad gas mileage.
- The vehicle will not start.
- The car will not run on all cylinders.
- Misfire codes that are lighting up the check engine light on your instrument cluster.
- P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306
- Rotten egg smell coming out of the tail-pipe.
Where To Buy The Ignition Coil And Save
The following links will help you comparison shop for the ignition coil pack:
Not sure if the above ignition coils fit your particular vehicle? Don't worry, once you get to the site they'll make sure it fits by asking you the specifics of your vehicle. If they don't fit, they'll find you the right ones.
What Tools Do I Need?
To successfully use this information to diagnose and troubleshoot your Chrysler (or Dodge or Eagle or Plymouth) mini-van, you need a few specific tools. Don't worry, none of this stuff is expensive, here's the list:
- A 12 Volt automotive test light.
- A multimeter (don't have a digital multimeter? Need to buy one? Click here to see my recommendations: Buying A Digital Multimeter For Automotive Diagnostic Testing).
- A LED light.
- To see what this tool looks like, click here: The LED Light Test Tool And How To Make One.
- An HEI spark tester
- This tool is a must have (don't have an HEI spark tester? Need to buy one? You can buy it here: OTC 6589 Electronic Ignition Spark Tester).
- Battery jump start cables.
- Someone to help you crank the car.
The HEI spark tester is a must have tool to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose a bad coil pack on your Chrysler (or Dodge or Eagle or Plymouth) mini-van. Using the wrong tool or method will have you chasing a wrong diagnostic test conclusion and effectively wasting your time and money.